Spring Meadows History
The original plan for Spring Meadows Country Club was established in 1955. Our first president, Bob McInnes, and several individuals joined together to form the West Side Family Golf and Country Club Committee. The name was chosen because no golf club existed at this time.
A 245 acre cornfield and pasture near the Village of Linden was acquired in 1956. Packard and Wadsworth, a firm of golf course architects, were retained to develop plans for recreational and residential areas on the site.
In 1957 sufficient capital had been placed in escrow to warrant organization of the Linden Knoll Realty Company. This name was selected because the plans drawn by the architects included approximately 125 home sites that would surround the professionally -designed golf course.
The process of consolidation of membership and sale of the residential lots to provide capital for the construction of the course continued through 1957. By the spring of 1958, the decision was made to proceed with the building the golf course and construction began immediately. The seeding of the course took place in the fall of 1958 and the course was ready for play in 1959.
Memorial Day of 1959 brought the dedication of Spring Meadows Country Club. A Greens keeper and Golf Professional were hired, and the centennial farm house on the property was used as a Clubhouse and Pro Shop.
The primary goal of the first committee of Spring Meadows Country Club emphasized on "family". The idea was to provide a family-oriented atmosphere that included a children’s recreational area and swimming pool. Another admirable trait of the first committee was the willingness to perform all types of volunteer labor to assure the continued success of the club. This unselfish attitude has continued throughout the years, and is still evident in today's membership. Without such dedication by all members, Spring Meadows Country Club would not exist today.
The clubhouse as you see it today was constructed in several phases throughout the years. The basic structure was completed in the spring of 1961; additions were made when the pool was constructed, and again when a new kitchen was added. In 1979, construction was underway for locker rooms and a Pro Shop and completed in 1984. The expansion of the kitchen and the two new dining room areas were added that same year. In 1995, the entire main floor of the clubhouse was gutted and redone, greatly enhancing the dining and locker room facilities. The most recent building expansion was completed in 2002, and included the addition of offices, a new bag room, new electric cart storage area, and a greatly enhanced Pro Shop.
Spring Meadows insttituted a Memorial Tree Program which allows members to purchase a "living tribute" to loved ones, beautifying the golf couse. We are extremely grateful to our Life Members for donating the wonderful Tree Case in our Lobby that showcases this program.
Over fifty years later, Spring Meadows Country Club continues its tradition of providing a family-oriented atmosphere to its membership and their guests. It is our hope that we will continue this tradition for many more years to come.